Monday, February 14, 2011

Did I really go to Queensland?

Boy was that a whirlwind trip or what?
A lovely but very short visit with my sister and her boys in Brisbane. We went over to the Spinal Unit to visit Joel. I was expecting something but I wasn't sure what it was - certainly not the same kid I saw a bit over a month ago except for the fact that he is unable to walk. For an eighteen year old with his whole life in front of him, he is amazingly relaxed and comfortable with himself and his situation. The same outlook on life, the same lame jokes, the same kid. Amazing!
I then drove myself through Brisbane to stay with Vicki and her family. They are the same too. Boy I miss seeing them more often. I feel so much at home there. Zanthe did indeed cook me a yummy home made pasta dinner, which we surrounded with lots of talking, lots of talking.
The next morning it was off up the range to Toowoomba. I was glad, in a way, that the road through Grantham was closed. Not sure I could have managed to drive through there. It was raining so I didn't get a chance to see how my sister's place fared in the flood. I met up with my brother and we went to my Grandmother's funeral. It was a short service followed by lunch at the Funeral place. I really enjoyed catching up with all the cousins and their children. John, my brother, and I commented afterwards about how easy it was to talk with them even though we hadn't seen them for quite awhile. No-one was really sad as we all knew my grandmother had had a lovely long life and a few people mentioned how she would be able to boss her husband and son (my father) around again now.
I then got to do the Auntie thing with the little neice and nephew. Who knew listening to young children do their homework reading could be so much fun! In the morning, I got to do the school run, grab a coffee with another friend and then it was back on the road to the airport and home by 11 pm that night! Whew!
I am going to do another post about the exciting event that happened the day after, as it deserves a post of its own!

No comments: